Sunday, September 21, 2014

DMing for the First Time


Being a DM for the first time seemed like a daunting task. My palms were sweating and my stomach hurt as we all sat around the table. I knew that no matter how I did my husband would appreciate me for trying, even if I turned out to be terrible. Hal and Omar had never met me before and part of me was afraid that they'd tear me to ribbons. Part of me felt like a fraud with such little player experience behind me. I felt like I was on stage, and really being a DM is a performance where you play most of the rolls. By halfway through the night, I had started to become more at ease with my role, the guys were getting into the quest, and they said I was doing well.

After a couple of sessions (we generally play for around 6 hours) I really got into it. I enjoyed coming up with the story, maybe all of those writing classes in college were actually coming in handy. Theater class was coming in handy too as I tried to bring my NPC's to life. The guys told me flat out that I'm unlike any other DM they've ever had. I even try to make physical props whenever possible; from antiqued notes and maps to potion bottles.

The longer I DM the easier some of the aspects get, like mechanics of the game. Other aspects get harder, like handling a problem player or guest. It's never easy but I find it more rewarding than being a player. Now that I DM, I can't imagine a life without D&D.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for the Adventure

Our little group did meet as planned and we got everyone's characters drawn up.  Schedules are a little hectic right now so we don...