Monday, March 20, 2017

What Happened to the Group?



You may be wondering what happened and where I’ve been and why I stopped doing blogs and posting to the Facebook page.  Well, as I had announced we picked back up playing D&D with Hal and Omar around July of last year.  Omar had turned over a new leaf and while we were in session he was almost a different person.  I had high hopes.  We were playing during the day on Sundays, because of Tyr’s work schedule and to be fair to Omar he had said from the beginning that Sundays were not the most convenient for him.  Also, Omar isn’t the biggest fan of children and since we were now playing during the day instead of after the kids went to bed it wasn’t Omar’s ideal situation.

We played for about a month or so and then it started.  Omar had something else he had to do so we’d have to skip that week.  Then the next week came and Hal couldn’t play because he didn’t feel good or would schedule something for during the time we were supposed to be playing.  It went on like this for several months.  The first couple of times it happened we played without whoever it was who couldn’t be there but it was getting to be all the time so we decided that if someone couldn’t play we just didn’t play that week.  That meant that we only wound up playing once a month or so.

We got to Thanksgiving and I said we should take a break until after the holidays because Hal wouldn’t be available for about two weeks around Thanksgiving and from when we had played before Omar wasn’t very available during December because of various Christmas functions.  We were set to resume after the first of the year.  Then Omar got in touch with Hal after Thanksgiving to pass a message to me (why he didn’t just call me I don’t know) that he didn’t have any commitments in December that would interfere with playing if we wanted to start again.  We set a date to start playing and low and behold the day of or the day before (it was super short notice) Hal informed me that he couldn’t play because he had something else to do, something he knowingly scheduled to have to do during the time we were supposed to be playing.  At this point I just threw in the towel.  We scheduled our session for the same day and time every week.  If Hal wanted to play he would have scheduled his stuff for a different day and time.

Omar and Tyr were pretty fed up with Hal as it was between canceling all the time (always on short notice) and the fact that he slept through almost every session.  We all used to give him slack because he said he was on a medicine that made him drowsy but then he quit taking all his meds so there wasn’t a good reason for him to be sleeping though entire sessions.  When he wasn’t sleeping he was on his laptop surfing the net.  Omar and Try had finally had enough during the session where they were in a fight and Hal (who was playing the cleric) was asleep during the battle.  He’d wake up for his turn in the initiative (sometimes) with no clue of what was going on, throw a fire ball (which hit allies and started a forest fire) and go back to sleep as soon as he was done.  The party was getting there asses kicked and it got to the point that Omar and Tyr were both yelling (literally) for the cleric to wake up and heal them.  He remained asleep and I wound up letting them kill of the monster a few HP early just before it would have been a TPK.  Hal finally wakes up and makes a comment about his PC needing healing and the guys shot him a look and say he’s nowhere near as bad as they were.  Hal’s response, “Why didn’t you tell me you needed healing?”  The daggers they shot at Hal as they looked at him and both not too politely informed him that they had literally been yelling for him to wake up and heal them and he didn’t do shit.

When I told Hal that we were throwing in the towel because yet again he couldn’t be at a session his response was that he didn’t really want to play with Tyr anyhow because the two of them don’t really like each other.  I wanted to say, “How would you know if you like or dislike playing D&D with Tyr or anyone else when you sleep through every session or search the web unless it’s your turn in the initiative order.”  I just chose to ignore the comment because I saw it for what it was, he didn’t like being called on the fact that he was always canceling so he was trying to shift the spotlight elsewhere and cry sour grapes.

Tyr and I very much want to get back to playing D&D but life is a little nutso right at the moment so we need to get a couple of things sorted out.  Once that’s done I’ve made up flyers looking for new group members.  There are two comic book stores, booth about a half an hour from us, that I’m going to ask if I can post the flyers there and there is a closer store that hosts Magic tournaments and I’ll ask if I can post a flyer there.   I’m confident that if the store owners will allow us to post a flyer in their shops that we’ll attract a couple of players.  Tyr and I have talked about the possibility of asking Omar if he’d like to play with the new group when we form it.  There are Facebook groups for the local area where I could advertise for new members but Hal belongs to many of those and there’s no way for me to prevent him from seeing the ads if I post in those groups.  Moving forward there is no room in the group for people who sleep during sessions.  I already had the rule that there were supposed to be no laptops at the table but Hal being a computer guy said he had everything he needed for his character on his laptop and couldn’t play without it.  Going forward no laptops at the table means no laptops at the table, if someone can’t play without their laptop then I guess they just don’t play.

My prediction is that we won’t move forward with getting a new group together until the end of spring or the beginning of summer.  In the meantime I’m working on some ideas for the new group.  Tyr is working on a couple of potential PC’s for him to play.  I’ll try to put up a few blogs between now and when we’re able to get a new group together and I’ll try to post more on the Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for the Adventure

Our little group did meet as planned and we got everyone's characters drawn up.  Schedules are a little hectic right now so we don...